My information report: Spinifex grass PowerPoint
In term two, our topic focus was on animal adaptations, which we had to complete a project on. We had to write out a report on features and adaptations of a plant or animal. It was focussing on adaptations, so we made a model and a diagram to show all of the plant or animal’s adaptations. We presented it on a PowerPoint, and displayed our annotated diagram and experiment things on a piece of cardboard. My partner was Pippa, and our project was on the Spinifex Grass. I would say we did a pretty good job on it.
I think we did really well in our model and experiment, our model really clearly shows some adaptations of the spinifex grass. And our experiment was carried out perfectly and exactly how we wanted it to go. We worked really hard on this project and I think it shows that.
Three facts that I found interesting were:
1. Leaves curl to prevent water loss
2. Produces seeds after rainfall so seeds have a moist environment to grow in
3. Roots go into ground approximately 3 metres so it can absorb all the water out of the ground the plant needs.
Two understandings I now have:
1. if the roots didn’t go deep enough into the ground the spinifex probably won’t be able to survive in the desert environments.
2. The leaves are covered in silica so they can’t bend in the wind, this makes sure that the plant is strong and healthy.
Something that I still wonder about:
How many seeds can the spinifex produce in its lifetime?
Some important things I have learned over these past couple of weeks is:
Well, for one, just because you restart does not mean you will run out of time. We had to restart both our experiment and model. I thought we wouldn’t get it done but we managed to work out a way to complete it. Another important thing I learned, more to the adaptations part now, but I learned about how the leaves curl to prevent water loss. If I didn’t know this I wouldn’t have been able to complete our awesome experiment.
How I learned it:
For the first part of my important things I have learned, I mentioned restarting. What had happened, well firstly our experiment stuffed up because water leaked from the tube we were experimenting with, and our model broke the day before we needed to bring it in so we had to redo that as well. We did waste a bit of time because we had to restart but we were able to learn from our mistakes and make sure they didn’t happen again. They turned out awesome!
Secondly, we actually didn’t know about the water loss fact until we actually started worrying about if we would get an experiment done. We had found that fact, but found it worded differently, so didn’t think we could do an experiment on it. Fortunately, the fact that it curls to prevent water loss came to our attention, and we were able to carry out a really good experiment from that knowledge.
What I am going to do with what I learned:
Firstly, not worry the next time that I have to restart something! I didn’t run out of time, and they were way better than the first attempt. In fact, it probably is better that I give it a second go because I know how I can make it better!
And also, always know that there is probably some other way out there that we missed that could be awesome for projects!
Overall, I have learned how to write a really great information report with a partner. A goal I have for the next time I work in a group/ with a partner is to try and get them to give more ideas into our project, I’m not saying that I did all the work but some things I got really excited with an idea that I might’ve had and not given the other person time to think of an idea.